Thursday, July 12, 2007

I'm Getting a RAT Today!

Picked up a Vodka Mods RAT off The Gear Page.

I wanted a versatile distortion that I could stack on others to give a big "wall of sound" - shoegaze style.

Vintage '80s RATs go for a bit on eBay and their sound is highly sought after, due in part to the LM308 Op Amp chip. The Vodka Mod RAT has a socketed NE5534AP chip which is "supposedly" the same tone with no noise issues. I'll have to wait to play it to judge that. But even if it fails to impress, the socketed chip can be replaced by an NOS LM308 chip easily found on eBay for under $10. But with all of the positive reviews I think it will be a keeper.

The mod consists of the usual cap and resistor changes to improve the bass response and the reactiveness of the Filter knob. But the reason I chose this mod over the Keeley or MohoMods RAT was the presence of two clipping control switches.

One switch selects between "heavy full-on distortion" and "distinct warm overdrive". The second switch is a three-way switch involving Ge/Si/Vodka Mod exclusive clipping diode. The diverse sounds that this pedal can get was the deciding factor for me. I like a box (especially a dirt one) that is not a one-trick pony.

All of this PLUS true bypass and a white LED.

Below is an mp3 of the Vodka Mods RAT and its many distortion and overdrive faces.



C.